In order to properly address this subject, we first need to understand the difference between marketing and sales.
Marketing drives the demand for a product or service; Sales fulfil the demand and create relationships with clients.
The recommended basic elements of every marketing mix are as follows:
- A brochure (electronic and/or print)
- Website (do search engine optimisation, apply Google Ads and doing search word campaigns)
- Advertising (using the most suitable media options)
- Public relations plan
- Sponsorships that are suited to your target market
Here are a few alternative marketing elements to consider:
- Vehicle advertisements
- Marketing non-competitive products and services to your client base in collaboration with other businesses (while they do the same for you)
- Thank clients for business (email, phone calls, discount on next transaction)
- Do after-sales service assessments, at the same time asking for referrals
- Give away samples to introduce clients to your product/service
Your marketing mix should deliver the following results:
- Creating awareness of your product/service and business
- Creating a 24/7 presence of your business
- Educating your clients on your product/service
- Creating credibility and giving clients peace of mind that your business will deliver on promises made
- Showing that you understand the needs and requirements of your target market
- Creating qualified referrals (in most cases this is a by-product, but you can launch campaigns primarily aimed at lead generation)
The well-known American writer and speaker Zig Ziglar once said: “Every sale has five basic obstacles: no need, no money, no hurry, no desire, no trust.” These obstacles can be removed only if the marketing and sales functions are working together.
To support business owners with the important task of business planning, Sanlam gives you free access to the book Your Annual Business Game Plan for Success, which provides an easy and straightforward framework needed to draft a well-crafted game plan that will create the positive change and growth necessary for business success. Go to www.sanlam.co.za/gameplan to download your free copy.
Article written by Jannie Rossouw, Head: Sanlam Business Market
Copyright © Sanlam, 2016